Dr. Sonny Zulhuda reads and writes on issues of cyber law, information governance, information security and personal data protection (PDP).
Obtained his PhD in Information Security Law in 2010 from International Islamic University Malaysia, Dr. Sonny is a 2008 Web-science Summer Doctoral fellow from the University of Oxford, the UK, and a two-time Fellow of the US-based Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN). Sonny is a fellow researcher for Cyber Stewards Network (CSN) hosted at the Citizen Lab, University of Toronto, Canada. He is also a core member of the Research Alliance for Data Governance and Cyber Security (DGCS-Alliance) based in Beijing, China.
Dr. Sonny is currently serving as an Associate Professor and cyber law course coordinator at the Civil Law Department, Ahmad Ibrahim Kulliyyah (Faculty) of Laws, the International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM). He advised the Office of Personal Data Protection Commissioner of Malaysia on various aspects of the PDP laws.
Dr. Sonny is recently appointed by the Minister of Communications and Multimedia as a member of the Personal Data Protection Appeal Tribunal.
(CV with more details is available upon request)
SCOPUS ID: 35782606500 (page)
ORCID ID: 0000-0003-0192-1971 (page)
GOOGLE SCHOLAR ID: https://scholar.google.com.my/citations?user=B99CpLkAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=ao
IREP IIUM PAGE: http://irep.iium.edu.my/view/creators/Zulhuda=3ASonny=3A=3A.html
- Web-science Doctoral Summer Programme fellowship at the Oxford Internet Institute, the University of Oxford, UK (2008).
- Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) Fellowship in Singapore (2011).
- Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) Fellowship in Beijing, China (2013).
- Citizen Lab Summer Institute (CLSI) at the University of Toronto, Canada (2017).
- Visiting Researcher at the Citizen Lab, the Munk School of Global Affairs, University of Toronto, Canada (2018).
- Research Visit at the Center for Law and Digital Technologies, Leiden Law School, Universiteit Leiden, the Netherlands (2019).
- Asian Privacy Scholars Network.
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
- Academic Advocate, ISACA (Formerly known as “Information Systems Audit and Control Association”) (Chapter Malaysia)
- Global Internet Governance Academic Network (GigaNet)
- Internet Society (Global & Malaysia Chapter)
- Cyber Stewards Network, Canada
- Data Protection Excellence Network (DPEX) (ASEAN)
- IAPP Course on Certified Information Privacy Professionals (Europe) (CIPP/E), organised by Straits Interactive, June 2021 (3 days).
- International Data Protection Frameworks and Standards and ISO 29001, organised by Singapore Management University, June 2021 (2 days).
- CIPM Module on Privacy Management, organised by Straits Interactive, June 2021 (3 days).
- In-House Internal Audit Training for ISO 9001:2008 and MS 1900:2014, organised by IIUM, March 2015 (3 days).
- CISSP Module on Information Security, organised by IMPACT, June 2013 (5 days).
- 1Citizen Certified Trainer on Digital Etiquette and Appropriate Use of Technology, endorsed by the Ministry of Education of Malaysia, October 2011 (4 days).
- “Curricula Development on Climate Change Policy and Law (CCP_Law)” (ERASMUS+, 2021-2024)
- “Developing a new legal and regulatory framework for cryptocurrencies businesses in Malaysia” (MOHE, 2019-2021).
- “From Data Security to Freedom of Information: Formulating a Legal Framework for Open Data in Malaysian Public Sector” (Funded by the Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia/MOHE, 2017-2020).
- “From Freedom of Expression to ‘Freedom to Tell Lies’: Formulating an Effective Legal Framework to Regulate the Spread of Fake News Online in Malaysia” (IIUM, 2019-2020).
- “Social Media Regulation in Malaysia: Trends and Updates from the Legal and Judicial Perspectives” (IIUM, 2018-2019).
- “Formulating the legal and institutional framework for elimination of terrorism financing in Malaysia” (MOHE, 2016-2018).
- “Access My Info” (Citizen Lab, University of Toronto, Canada, 2015-2018).
- “Security offences law vis a vis right to privacy in Malaysia: Guidelines for reconciliation and enforcement” (MOHE, 2013-2016).
- “Application of extended Technology Acceptance Model on Malaysian consumer towards e-commerce transaction of small business” (MOHE, 2013-2015).
- “Deciphering the Wikileaks saga: Exploring the legal, policy and information security role and challenges in protecting and securing Malaysia’s Critical Information Infrastructure (CII) against data leak” (MOHE, 2011-2013).
- “The problems of identity theft in Malaysia in the light of the Personal Data Protection Act 2010: A hope rejuvenated?” (IIUM, 2011-2012).
Phone (Office hours): +60 3 64214309 | Blog: sonnyzulhuda.com | Mail: email@example.com | Linkedin: sonnyzulhuda | Twitter: zulhuda | Instagram: zulhuda1
Past PDP & Information Governance Programmes (2002-date):
Petronas | Cybersecurity Malaysia | ISACA Malaysia Chapter | Tenaga Nasional Berhad | Malaysia Multimedia Development Corporation (MDec) | Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia (USIM) | Brickfields Asia College | KL Regional Centre for Arbitration (KLRCA) | Alumni Association of the University of South Australia (MyUNISA) | Majlis Amanah Rakyat (MARA) | Attorney General Chambers (AGC) | UKM Medical Centre (PPUKM) | University of Malaysia Pahang (UMP) | Perbadanan Menteri Besar Kelantan (PMBK) | University of Technology Petronas (UTP) | Universiti Utara Malaysia (UUM) | ISACA Chapter Malaysia | Institute of Sultan Iskandar, UTM | Putra Specialist Hospital | The National Institutes of Health | Jabatan Perlindungan Data Peribadi (PDP Department) | Bank Pertanian Malaysia Bhd (AGROBANK) | The Malaysian Institute of Accountants (MIA) | Federation of Public Listed Companies (FPLC) and the Malaysian Institute of Corporate Governance (MICG) | The Malaysian International Chamber of Commerce and Industry (MICCI) | The Malaysian Airline System Bhd (MAS) | KL BAR | Cyber Security Malaysia | Permodalan Nasional Berhad (PNB)